Dear Derek,
It's been a year since you've left us and I never know what to say at times like this, but I feel compelled to say something. I've spent some time reflecting on things to say that would help take the edge off, but it never does. So, in lieu of prosy reflection, which I am probably not capable of (without it having to reduce it to Hallmark sentiments), I am going to share a few fun memories of hanging with Derek (most of them involve food).
So, I really started getting to know Derek on various hikes that the (mostly) architecture group organized. On one particular hike (and I don't remember which one), we were heading back to the city after the hike when we decided that it would be a good idea to stop at Taco Bell for some "food". We all order and get back into the car with the food to head back to Seattle. Derek is driving and he starts to unwrap some taco or something, I think someone offers to help him while he is driving and Derek just says, "No, no I got this." And then he proceeds to polish off two more tacos (or a similar facsimile) without breaking a sweat, while driving. Strangely, at the time the thought that this was potentially hazardous driving, never occurred to me.
On another occasion, this time heading down to the coast for some razor clam digging, we stop at Jack in the Box for dinner (I swear, our group of friends normally eat better than this), and while I and the other two passengers (Jen and Emily) just settle for a regular combo meal, Derek gets a combo meal and an additional cheeseburger, which he proceeds to finish before any of us finish our meals. I could never get over how much and how fast Derek could eat foods--and still stay so skinny.
Finally, on one of our hikes to Snow Lake (which was a gorgeous hike), our group settles in for some lunch before hiking back to the car. While most of us has sandwiches, Derek actually packed a homemade chicken teriyaki lunch for himself (complete with chopsticks to eat with). Jen and I giggled a bit at the sight because, here were two Asian girls eating sandwiches (and one with candied bacon) probably slapped together the morning of, while Derek had chicken teriyaki and a side of rice. He won the most Asian award of the day.
| Actually, I think Derek might have beat me at being Asian on most days. |

sorry to hear about your friend :( it's tough figuring out what to say to honor their memory.
ReplyDelete