Thursday, April 19, 2012

Descent into Misery: Complete


While Jack is out of town for the next couple of weeks, I took the opportunity to spread out (even more so) and make a mess while finishing up my knitting needle roll. I wish I had a picture to share, but the mess I made was far beyond any level of human decency (some would call it "living in squalor"), and I'm just not ready to make that aspect of my life public yet.

Now that I have finished the needle roll, I feel as if I was being a little over dramatic as I chronicled my descent into misery. But in the heat of the moment, I truly do feel like I am sucked into a vortex of misery, sometimes finishing a project just feels like a chore. It's the little mistakes that make the experience so terrible, mistakes like this:

Hahahahaha, fail.
When it came time to sew the inner and outer panels together, I inadvertently sewed the ribbon, which would tie the roll together, on the wrong side of the fabric. The fabric was put together (wrong-side up) so that I could flip it inside out when I was done...and if I sewed the ribbon onto the wrong side then when I invert it, it would be on the inside and absolutely useless to me.  I realized this far too late, so I had to rip out the seam and restart again, which led to.....

The bane of my existence
Having to reload the bobbin! It's not a difficult task, but I can never seem to get it right. It's like when I try to plug into a USB port, it always takes three tries even though there's only two ways to plug it in. I can't ever remember whether it loads thread clockwise or counter-clockwise and sometimes I don't wind the thread around enough times so when I start the machine, not only does it wind in the opposite direction I had expected it to, it loosens whatever I wound onto the bobbin. I just sighed out loud having to relive the experience while typing this last paragraph.

But, finally, after all that drama, I managed sew the ribbon back onto the right side and put the whole thing together. On top of that, like the silver lining around a dark cloud, I successfully matched up the top of the inner pocket with the outer panel!

Success!
Once the roll was complete, I was so giddy and so happy that I successfully made something that does what it's supposed to do--that post-project high, forgetting all the misery that accompanies the actually fabrication process....until I get it in my head that I should try for another project and the cycle restarts itself. But for now, I'm going to savor in another victory over fabric and poorly honed sewing skillz.

Action shot!

2 comments: