Today I started to clean the apartment in preparation for my move out of the apartment. Christy, ever the efficient one, has been tinkering at it for the last week or so. Already the apartment looks so empty even though we still have the bulk of our furniture. I think it's all the little things that make it seem lived in--the Christmas lights that are up all year (and yet never really turned on), the stuffed animals on the shelves, the DVDs that we never watch.
So, here are the things I've learned so far, in my first three hours of cleaning (and very thorough cleaning, mind you):
- I am a dirty hoarder. I had most--if not all--of my undergraduate green book final exams, old musty textbooks that I hadn't even used during that quarter, and various academic paraphernalia dumped into a bin that I hadn't bothered to clean out until today.
-I was (still am) a terrible writer. I was looking through my old essays for my classes and they were TERRIBLE. Unfinished arguments, inconclusive conclusions, vagaries disguised as an actual explanation...they were all there. Sadly, I don't think I would do much better now given how out of practice I am at the art of bullshitting my way through a midterm.
-Spiders--they are everywhere. Even in spaces you didn't think they could get to--they will get there. I was cleaning out some old glasses that I was planning on donating when I saw a spider at the bottom at one of the glasses. I thought it was dead so I went to wash it out--but it wasn't! It started wriggling around in the hot water I had poured into the glasses. I just hope it had a quick and painless death in boiling hot water.
As I continue to pack and move, I'm sure I'll learn more things.
No comments:
Post a Comment